Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I said YES! The long version...

Alrighty...so quite a few people have been asking to hear about 'the proposal'.  It was adorable, unexpected and just perfect.

It was Saturday Sept 29 and I knew we were going to St. Elizabeth (about 2-3 hr drive) to pick up his bro Tan who was working there and then come back.  I knew this was going to be an all day trip so we loaded up in the car and off we went.  On the way there we stopped in a little town and Andree says "just wait here, lock yourself in, I'll be back"...now, let me just tell you...this made me a little confused because Andree never left my side or let me get out of sight if we were off somewhere...let alone leave me in the car in a busy town by myself. So I did a quick glance around to see where the heck he was headed, but the way he parked, I couldn't tell which shop he went into...I saw a shoe shop, a pawn shop, a flower shop and a dress shop.  I decided he definitely went into the dress shop because the whole trip he was saying how he wanted to buy me "a real Jamaican dress", so I spent the rest of the time in the car thinking HA I figured it out...

He gets back and just tosses the bag into the backseat - which I noted, because it was strange and it must have meant it was something I shouldn't see because normally he would ask me to put it in my purse/bag right away so people don't just see it lounging on the seats.  He doesn't trust anyone, obviously. Street smarts - something I lack to an extreme.

So, we pick up his bro and I have completely forgotten about the bag and Tan is going on about how we have to have a big party tonight - we'll head into Montego Bay and visit a few friends and hang out for the evening and that's exactly what we do.  It was going to be our last opportunity to see everyone because I was leaving in two days...I thought this was PERFECTION!

So we bop around to a couple different places with the car loaded up with two of Andree's bro's and his best buddy Roy...and we head to a friends place who is a DJ and he was so cool and Andree was saying 'when we get married, he'll be our DJ" so that was fun to think about! Then he and Andree went in the house for a little while and I was outside with the boys chatting away and the other two come back out and Andree's demeanor had changed some, he seemed excited and almost nervous..and said something like "the best is yet to come" which had been our saying the whole trip just thinking about our future together and how we had so many things to look forward to - so I didn't think much of it.  Then I had a chance to talk to his DJ buddy and he told me flat out that Andree was inside telling him how much he loved me and how I was "royalty" and that I make him so happy..and I was floored.  What nice things to say!!! So I was making a mental note to bring this up and tell Andree how unbelievably adorable that was. 

The night was SO much fun, we were all sitting around outside chatting and laughing and Andree said something like "are you ready to head home?" and I kept saying "no, Im not tired at all! we can stay longer" because normally I was wiped by like 10 or 1030 (time change).  Turns out we didn't get back to the cottage until almost 1 am ( I didn't know he was planning to propose ok!?). So really the proposal took place on Sunday, Sept 30..Andree came in and was sitting on the couch and I was in the room wide awake and starting to get my stuff together to make packing easier the next day...and I thought hmm it strange that he's just sitting on the couch and not in here chatting with me so I went out and he was sitting there kind of dazed and I could tell his was thinking about something and he was like "I'll soon come see you". 

So, I carried on with my music playing and he walks a few minutes later and he has a super serious look on his face and so I shut the music off and we sit on the bed and he takes my hands and brings me close and starts telling me all these WONDERFUL and romantic things and I would blurt them all on here but a) TMI b) as horrible as it sounds, while he was talking I was saying to myself "remember what he's saying, remember what he's saying!" and I remember lots but I don't remember everything he was saying...  But I do remember the expression on his face, how I felt in the moment, how time stood still and how I couldn't believe how blessed I was to have this wonderful man asking me to spend the rest of my life with him. 

Turns out he went into the FLOWER shop! and bought me a beautiful, perfect, red rose and wrote a precious note attached to it, that I will cherish forever!

God is so good.  He has made what would seem like an impossible task of having a random Jamaican guy and a random Canadian girl come together and be at the same points in their lives where they are wanting a committed, loving, Godly relationship and they find it in each other. I mean wow, 1 year ago I couldn't have imagined my life would pan out like this - but I'm so unbelievably thankful to God for Andree, every day. He's my match! He's the one I've been waiting for all my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment